Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stamps 3 United States stamps


Stamps 3 United States stamps circa 1962
The start of a thousand mile journey starts with a 6" step.
The journey started early. Sometimes you look around and realize you are already on the path, the curiosity pulled you in to make a subconcious choice.
At age 12 in the Scouts a merit badge in stamp collecting seemed interesting. A $3 stamp collecting book and a $1 bag of cancelled stamps and I was started. Sorting through the bag... there are international stamps from countries around the world.




The journey of adventure begins. Reaching into the well of curiosity at 12, actually I am lost and exploring.
As usual, by myself, on my own, no help, no moral support, no resources, start on a shoestring... big on curiosity and adventure. One day i'll travel to these countries, but for now I could study and learn about them with every stamp. Stamps helped develop a good imagination too. ... the wonder of what it was like there. Or who, or what event the stamp was about.


You never drink twice from the same stream.

Copyright MMXV ALL StoneBearTracks blog posts and photographs  ALL Rights reserved

The introduction into stamps triggered a lifelong journey that has taken me to the 4 corners of the world. I've traveled the back roads and witnessed many cultures / subcultures. Talked and made friends with many people from some 30+ countries; ALL interesting!
Some of these stamps... Lewis and Clark... I've hiked their trails... the exact trails they explored.




I've traveled to urban crossroads of continents, and back country ghost towns. Been on board ship at night in the North Sea in a storm, hiked into the eye of volcanos, hiked through snowpack to dance around the sacred Medicine Wheel,... hiked into and have seen places that white men never returned from. I don't know where the thirst for exploration came from; the early search about stamps had a lot of influence.




Stamps don't translate today, as in letter writing doesn't translate today. People used to write letters, with actuall real emotion and inflection in the letter. A couple of letters got me through the Marines. The Stamps on the letters were important. On a personal letter it meant that someone cared about you enough to take time to write you... and get stamps to make sure it was mailed/ delivered to you. I like the technology of email, but ?when was the last time you got a letter from someone that loves you? ... a hand written letter that ends with "I love you". Yeah,... that era is gone.
50 years later, I still have the stamp collection. It's not worth any real amount of money,... but I wouldn't take a million dollars for it. ... or the enthusiam to explore it taught a kid.








You never drink twice from the same stream.