Thursday, October 2, 2014

Jasper AL 4 Hockey

Tracks of the StoneBear  BNF = Banff, BC/ Alberta journey

ROF = Ring of Fire journey

British Columbia/ Alberta, Canada

Tuesday August 26, 2014  BNF 11  

Jasper, AL 4  Hockey  

... that's Jasper, ALBERTA... NOT Jasper, Alabama; Big difference. 

Driving the Icefields Parkway the 1st time.... can't take pix fast enough... the Canadian Rockies... beyond description. 

Late in the afternoon we come into Jasper, Alberta... Canada... what a grand place!




Next day we're at the Jasper library checking email. Takes me a couple of minutes while waiting on T-bird I scout out what's here... I do that. I like to see what is it that makes this place unique.

Ask the librarian for the nearest pit stop. It's through this door. 




.... and the hallway leads down the hall. Then while searching around... into the city auditorium... the city hockey rink. I have hit the mother lode!!!



Here at Tracks of the StoneBear the rule is ... every place is unique! It is ALL interesting. You just have to look past the big things to see the little things that make every place interesting. 










I;ve looked at big urban cities and seen decaying ghost town mentality. ... and looked at tiny small towns and observed  vibrant progressive thinking and planing with a cultural lifestyle that adds to a quality of life that most wish for.


I walked into the city Hockey rink. It's off season... no ice... empty... raw concrete... but looking around I can see the stands full cheering for local teams playing old time hockey.




Old time hockey... the real stuff. It;s here... I can smell it... even in an empty rink. 

Along the outer aisles of the rink are framed jerseys of honored players... their jersey # retired.



Old time hockey... the real stuff. It;s here... I can smell it... even in an empty rink. 




This trophy case displays the pride of Jasper.





I walked into the city Hockey rink. It's off season... no ice... empty... raw concrete... but looking around I can see the stands full cheering for local teams playing old time hockey.

















In the adjoining concession stand area the bulletin boards had team pictures of the girls 7th grade hockey teams. Talk about pride. These young ladies will one day raise strong western families; you bet.













This city rink is where champions are made. Small town teams that make the guts of players... some will go on to be professionals. ... all stars... champions... they are made right here. 





I walk around in this empty, quiet hockey rink... walk out to center ice... there is no ice now, just concrete, looking up at the stands, the scoreboard above center ice... I can hear the Jasper crowd cheering for the home team. 

I can hear the boos from a high stick violation.




I can smell the sweat of players while walking by the team boxes... and penalty box.





It's here. This is where it happens. This is where there are red ice hockey players. Where the real players leave their blood on the ice... they give everything they've got right here on the ice. Canadian players do that. It's in their blood to play hard. I like that! I understand that. 








I graduated from The University of Alabama in 1978.. when "The Bear"... "Bear" Bryant coached football and took small town players and coached them into national champions. I understand the guts from small town players. This hockey rink is hallowed ground! 

I walked around 10 minutes in the quiet... it was powerful. I wish I could be here to see some real Canadian hockey. 





In the states I don't get to watch NHL often, but when I do... I know the players came from right here!






?Did I mention that I really love the Canadian people, their culture, their guts?  OH Canada!!!

You never drink twice from the same stream!